By Sharon L. James, Visit Amazon's Sheila Dillon Page, search results, Learn about Author Central, Sheila Dillon,
Selected through selection as a 2012 amazing educational Title
Awarded a 2012 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
A better half to ladies within the old World provides an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of newly-commissioned essays from trendy students at the research of ladies within the historical world.
- The first interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of readings to deal with the research of girls within the historic world
- Explores a vast diversity of issues on the subject of ladies in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess idea; girls in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; girls and the kin, the nation, and faith; costume and Adornment; girl Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial girls; girls in overdue Antiquity; Early girls Saints; and plenty of more
- Thematically prepared to stress the significance of ancient issues of continuity, improvement, and innovation
- Reconsiders a lot of the well known proof and preconceived notions when it comes to girls in antiquity
- Includes contributions from a number of the such a lot favourite students linked to the examine of ladies in antiquity
Read or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World PDF
Best ancient & classical books
Julius Caesar isn't just the main recognized Roman of all of them. He has additionally been unusually suitable in lots of varied sessions, for lots of varied societies and folks. Edited by means of a number one professional at the reception of historic Rome, this interdisciplinary quantity examines CaesarвЂ™s function in Western tradition throughout a large chronological variety and numerous media.
There's a lengthy culture in classical scholarship of decreasing the Hellenistic interval to the spreading of Greek language and tradition some distance past the borders of the Mediterranean. greater than the rest this notion has hindered an appreciation of the manifold results caused through the production of latest areas of connectivity linking diversified cultures and societies in elements of Europe, Asia and Africa.
Now and Rome is concerning the manner that sovereign strength regulates the stream of data and the circulation of our bodies via area and time. via a chain of readings of 3 key Latin literary texts along six modern cultural theorists, Ika Willis argues for an figuring out of sovereignty as a method which enforces convinced ideas for legibility, transmission and move on either details and our bodies, redefining the connection among the 'virtual' and the 'material'.
"A discovered and interesting e-book" - D. M. Nichol, occasions greater academic complement "Amazingly wealthy in details. .. it presents a magisterial assessment of a box of curiosity to the classicist and the Renaissance student in addition to to the professed Byzantinist and may take its position as a vintage advent to the highbrow international of the Greek heart a while.
- Human Evolution in China: A Metric Description of Fossils and a Review of the Sites
- A Companion to the Etruscans (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
- Western Views of Islam in Medieval and Early Modern Europe: Perception of Other
- Homers Ilias Gesamtkommentar: Band IV: Sechster Gesang: Faszikel 2 (Sammlung Wissenschaftlicher Commentare) (German Edition)
- Philo Volume VI: On Abraham. On Joseph. On Moses. (Loeb Classical Library No. 289)
- Shifting Social Imaginaries in the Hellenistic Period: Narrations, Practices, and Images (Mnemosyne, Supplements)
Extra resources for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World
Of 1903 edition). RIT Alföldy, G. 1975. Die römischen Inschriften von Tarraco [Madrider Forschungen 10]. Berlin. Abbreviations for Collected Papyri P. Athen. Petropoulos, G. A. ) 1939. Papyri Societatis Archaeologicae Atheniensis. Nos. 1–70 [Pragmateiai tês Akademias Athênôn 10]. Athens. P. Berl. BGU (Aegyptische Urkunden aus den Königlichen Museen zu Berlin, Griechische Urkunden. Volumes 1 and 5. ) P. Cairo Zen. Edgar, C. C. ) 1925 (Vol. I) and 1928 (Vol. 3). Zenon Papyri, Catalogue général des Antiquités égyptiennes du Musée du Caire.
Photo: Christopher Parslow. 4 Inscription from the schola tomb of Aesquilia Polla, Porta di Nola Necropolis, Pompeii. 1280. 808) and body in Narona. Photo: Hrvoje Manenica, Director of the Archaeological Museum Narona. 2 Silver bust of Livia from Herculaneum. Herculaneum deposit inv. 4205/79502. Photo: Soprintendente Archeologo Pompei. 3 Relief from the Sebasteion at Aphrodisias depicting Nero and Agrippina. Photo: New York University Excavations at Aphrodisias. 4 Statue of Agrippina in Egyptian greywacke, body from Centrale Montemartini (inv.
Each volume comprises between twenty-five and forty concise essays written by individual scholars within their area of specialization. The essays are written in a clear, provocative, and lively manner, designed for an international audience of scholars, students, and general readers. ANCIENT HISTORY Published A Companion to the Roman Army Edited by Paul Erdkamp A Companion to the Roman Republic Edited by Nathan Rosenstein and Robert Morstein-Marx A Companion to the Roman Empire Edited by David S.